Your living room is a space where memories are made and relaxation is key. Keeping it clean and organised contributes to a positive and inviting atmosphere. We’ll take you through a step-by-step process on how to clean your living room efficiently and effectively with our free living room cleaning checklist.
Step 1: Declutter and Organise
Begin by removing any unnecessary items and returning misplaced items to their designated spots. This includes books, remote controls, toys, or any other clutter that may have accumulated.
Step 2: Wiping and Dusting
- Wipe down TV screens, remotes, and gaming consoles with a gentle electronics-friendly cleaner.
- Dust decorative items, such as picture frames or sculptures, and return them to their positions.
- Dust all surfaces, including coffee tables, shelves, and side tables, using a microfibre cloth.
Step 3: Cleaning Upholstery and Fabrics
How to clean the couch
- Vacuum cleaner with upholstery attachment
- Upholstery cleaner or a mixture of dishwashing liquid and water
- Clean, white microfibre cloths or sponges
- Soft-bristle brush or toothbrush
- Baking soda
- Lint roller
- Check the manufacturer’s care instructions on your couch. Different fabrics and materials may have specific cleaning requirements.
- Use the upholstery attachment on your vacuum cleaner to remove loose dirt, dust, and debris from the surface and crevices of the couch. Pay attention to cushions, seams, and corners.
- Before using any cleaning solution, perform a spot test on an inconspicuous area of the couch to ensure it won’t damage the fabric.
- Remove Stains:
- Treat any visible stains with a suitable upholstery cleaner or a mixture of dishwashing liquid and water.
- Blot the stain gently with a clean, white microfibre cloth or sponge.
- Avoid rubbing, as it may spread the stain or damage the fabric.
- Clean the Entire Couch:
- For a deeper clean, clean the entire couch using the upholstery cleaner or homemade solution.
- Dampen a cloth or sponge in the cleaning solution and blot the entire surface.
- Use a soft-bristle brush or toothbrush to scrub gently in circular motions, paying attention to stained or soiled areas.
- Dampen a clean cloth with water and blot the couch to remove any residue from the cleaning solution.
- Repeat until the water runs clear.
- Sprinkle baking soda over the entire couch to neutralise odours.
- Let it sit for at least 15 minutes.
- Vacuum the baking soda thoroughly using the upholstery attachment.
- Use a lint roller or a damp rubber glove to remove pet hair from the couch.
- Ensure the couch is completely dry before using it again. Open windows or use a fan to speed up the drying process.
- If removable, wash cushion covers according to care instructions.
- Wash any other cushions or blankets in the living room.
- Avoid over-wetting the fabric, as excessive moisture can lead to mould and mildew.
- Regular maintenance and prompt stain removal can extend the life of your couch and keep it looking fresh and inviting.
- Use a fabric protector spray like Scotch-guard to help prevent stains.
Step 4: Vacuuming and Sweeping
- Vacuum carpets or rugs thoroughly, paying extra attention to high-traffic areas.
- Also move rugs out of the way to vacuum under them too.
- Mop the floors.
Step 5: Windows and Mirrors
- Clean windows and mirrors with a glass cleaner for a streak-free shine.
- Open windows to let in fresh air.
- Consider using air fresheners or natural alternatives like essential oil diffusers.
By following this step-by-step guide regularly, you can maintain a clean and enjoyable space for yourself, your family, and any guests who might visit. Remember, the key to a clean living room is consistency, so make this cleaning routine a regular part of your home maintenance.